X server on Linux 2.4

Bryan Henderson bryanh at giraffe-data.com
Sun Jan 2 09:19:15 PST 2011

>You should just need to add pre-sysfs support to libpciaccess in theory,
>this could probably use the HURD direct to pci backend, and some /dev/mem.

Thanks.  I'm going to try this, but I'm looking at having libpciaccess use
pciutils libpci.  Alternatively, /proc/bus/pci.  Maybe the HURD thing would
be easier.

>its the usual why ship a new X server on an ancient kernel.

And of course the usual answer is that someone has a whole ancient system that
needs just one upgrade and wants to do that more cheaply than building an
entire new system.  In my case, that upgrade is a new video controller.
That requires a new X driver, which requires a new X server, etc., etc.  I'm
thinking it would be the least work to break that chain before the kernel.

--
Bryan Henderson                                   San Jose, California