[ANNOUNCE] Deprecation of xf86-video-nv

Yann Droneaud ydroneaud at mandriva.com
Tue Mar 30 03:05:35 PDT 2010

Le lundi 29 mars 2010 à 16:12 -0700, Andy Ritger a écrit :
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski wrote:
> >
> > then NVIDIA could be so kind and fix the "NVIDIA Linux driver"
> > to build and work properly with alternate libc implementations, like
> > uclibc (glibc is hard-linked in libGL supplied with The Driver)
>

> If uclibc provided the same ABI as glibc then I would expect NVIDIA's
> libGL.so to work with uclibc.  However, my understanding is that binary
> compatiblity (either with glibc or even with prior uclibc releases)
> is a non-goal of the uclibc project.
>
> For better or worse, the NVIDIA driver is provided as binary-only,
> so it is not terribly well suited to deal with system library binary
> interface changes.

Just a technical thought:

The libGL.so could also be provided as an ELF relocatable object file,
so still a binary, which could be linked to the system C library
whatever is it (with some restrictions) at installation (or at packaging
time).
This won't help for some ABI/API incompatibilities with C library used
by NVIDIA to built from sources, but that a step forward.

Regards.

--
Yann Droneaud