[Mesa3d-dev] DRI SDK and modularized drivers.

Bridgman, John John.Bridgman at amd.com
Fri Mar 19 10:44:39 PDT 2010

Pulling drm back out of the kernel tree seems like a hard sell, but the ddx/mesa hw driver/libdrm set seemed like it might be a good candidate for grouping.

I guess the core question is whether we expect the X-to-ddx and mesa-to-hw-driver interfaces to be more or less volatile than the ddx-to-libdrm and mesa-hw-driver-to-libdrm interfaces over the next couple of years.

On the core-to-driver interface side we have the Gallium3D and GL 3/4 work, and on the libdrm interface side we have ongoing improvements in memory management and command submission. Tough call.

I guess another option would be a "pseudo-modular" approach where the code stays in the current trees but we adopt versioning and build/test procedures which treat ddx/mesahw/libdrm as a single code base even if the code is still living in multiple projects. That might be an easy first step, but repartitioning the code does seem like a better long-term approach.

If the drm code were omitted from the proposal and we focused only on ddx/libdrm/mesahw would that help ?