Howto Lower brightness on Apple LCD Monitor? - Put into XOrg sw? - KUbuntu 10.4, KDE System Settings Display; jor XOrg

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Wed Jun 23 00:50:15 PDT 2010

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 07:08:52 +0200, "Tino Keitel" <tino.keitel+xorg at tikei.de> said:
> > Looking in the
> > KDE System Settings > General > Computer Administration > Display > Size
> > & orientation > DVI-0
> >
> > there is no adjustment for brightness.
> >
> > Anyone know how to decrease brightness on this?
>
> You might look at this:
>
> http://technocage.com/~caskey/acdctl/

Thanks Tino - great find! :)

btw, this monitor does have the usb cable, which someone had told me was merely a pass through cable, to provide a usb outlet at the monitor, & that it only went to a socket on the monitor case.  But, maybe it is a live connection for the monitor control?

Well, i inserted the monitor's usb plug into the mobo & there's no output on syslog, so maybe it isn't a live connection to the Apple monitor.  I do get peripheral connection info on that log when other usb devices are plugged in, but maybe it's live but doesn't show for some reason in this case.

==
Now, would it be XOrg or KDE people who would figure out how to get this into the KDE systems settings, to enable this brightness control?  I'm thinking LCD brightness control via sw settings is something important to include in X sw for all monitors.