How to set modeline under xorg server 1.8.0

Robert Thompson xorg at robsfreespace.com
Fri Jun 11 17:25:41 PDT 2010

>>> twinview is the closest I have seen to what you are asking for, is it
>>> available to you?
>>>

>> Hi Robert
>>
>> Twinview gives you the two duplicated desktops.  I'm looking for a
>> 'Big Desktop' mode where the driver treats two displays as one
>> complete desktop.
>>
>> Regards
>>

> That's odd, I'll double check at work when I get there in about an
> hour and a half but from here I'd swear I've got our electronics
> engineer on a dual monitor setup using twinview which gives him a
> desktop 3840 pixels wide by 1080 high covering two matched monitors
> set at 1920x1080 each.
>
> When he presses 'prntscrn' (Ubuntu 10.04, NVidia driver) he gets a PNG
> that is 3840x1080 where-ever he chooses to save it - will repost from
> work after verifying this, but he can also spread anything (window
> type) across both displays.
>
> Anyone else wanna let us know what they get when they choose
> 'twinview'? (*And restart-x!)

Ok, am at work and sure enough that desktop is configured as 'twinview'
and I don't see another option so straightforward to get a 'big' desktop
that ranges across both displays, here is the entire xorg.conf:

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 1.0  (buildd at yellow)  Fri Apr  9 11:51:21
UTC 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier     "Layout0"
     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
     Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     # generated from default
     Identifier     "Mouse0"
     Driver         "mouse"
     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
     Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"It is tempting to attach a PNG
of his desktop! Can anyone confirm what I have written or perhaps
explain how I am wrong? (By the way, it isn't a good idea to just take
my user's xorg.conf content above and replace your own with it!!!)
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     # generated from default
     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
     Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
     Identifier     "Monitor0"
     VendorName     "Unknown"
     ModelName      "Acer X243HQ"
     HorizSync       30.0 - 80.0
     VertRefresh     55.0 - 75.0
     Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Device0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
     BoardName      "GeForce GT 220"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Screen0"
     Device         "Device0"
     Monitor        "Monitor0"
     DefaultDepth    24
     Option         "TwinView" "1"
     Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
     Option         "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1920x1080_60 +0+0, CRT-1:
1920x1080_60 +1920+0; CRT-0: 1920x1080_60_0 +0+0, CRT-1:
nvidia-auto-select +1920+0; CRT-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, CRT-1:
1920x1080_60 +1920+0"
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       24
     EndSubSection
EndSection

So, that gives my user a 'big desktop' on a pair of 24" monitors - it
was made this way by an extremely similar method to the instructions I
sent you first. Did you restart x server after applying settings?

Please don't anybody just try to put the contents of my user's xorg.conf
file into your xorg.conf file unless you are absolutely certain that you
really do have matching hardware - best possible outcome: works, worst
possible: smoke and tears!!!