xorg can't load qxl driver

Brian Milliron brianm at io.com
Wed Jun 9 09:39:01 PDT 2010

Thanks Robert, that is good info on spice, but not particularly relevant
to my problems with qxl.  They don't discuss qxl drivers at all on that
wiki and I already have spice working with vga drivers, just not qxl.
Maybe you can help me with the 2 puzzles Liang left behind?

1) This git link: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-
qxl/commit/?id=563f31ad081038ece8b5a5b525dd516fcd6ad0fd

Unfortunately I'm too green to know what to do with this.  The gzip
archive contains some source files but no make or configure files.  Do I
overwrite the previous source files with the new git source files and
use the old configure and make files?

2) His statement that "QXL Driver is included in debian unstable, you
may build it for you ubuntu."

Does he mean these drivers are unstable?
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/driver/xf86-video-qxl-0.0.12.tar.gz
Because those are the ones I currently have installed.
I tried using the ones he linked to here:
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-
qxl/xserver-xorg-video-qxl_0.0.12-1.dsc
But they require xserver-xorg-dev version 1.7.6.901 which I don't know
where to get.

If you can help me with either problem it would be most appreciated.

Brian