xorg can't load qxl driver

brian brianm at io.com
Mon Jun 7 10:51:10 PDT 2010

I've been trying to get Red Hat's Spice loaded to use for my Ubuntu VM for
more than a month now.  I finally got the full spice package installed and
configured but it needs qxl drivers loaded in x windows which so far I've
been unable to accomplish.

I followed the instructions here:
http://www.cs.rug.nl/~jurjen/ApprenticesNotes/ch28s06.html

However, when I edit the xorg.conf file to load the qxl drivers I
installed, then stop and start gdm it complains that it can't find drivers
"qxl" and "void" and puts me into low graphics mode.  When I try to
reinstall the drivers, it says latest drivers already installed nothing
left to do.  I don't understand why this isn't working.  The drivers are
installed, the hardware shows up, the xorg.conf has been modified.  Are
the istructions relating to the xorg.conf incorrect?  That's the only
thing I can think of.

Brian