could use help debugging black screen on RS780 (xf86-video-ati-6.13.0, radeon)

Larry Doolittle larry at doolittle.boa.org
Fri Jun 4 06:09:43 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 12:33:52PM +0200, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 10:12:50PM -0700, Larry Doolittle wrote:
> > The only fix I have on my list to try is to use KMS.  A kernel is building
> > as I type this.

I finally got the kernel built, but it crashed and burned.
I guess my Debian kernel building skills have atrophied.

> Please attach full Xorg log.

As mentioned in a previous message, it is posted at
  http://doolittle.icarus.com/~larry/radeon-logfile.txt
I'll also send it to you (Jerome) by private email, but I don't
really think I should spam the list with a 46 kByte attachment.

> What are the physical connector
> on the motherboard ? HDMI+VGA ? How is the monitor connected
> DVI through HDMI adapter ?

The motherboard has three video output connectors: VGA, DVI,
and HDMI.  The motherboard documentation asserts that the DVI
and HDMI ports are driven by the same data source, so only one
of them can be used at a time.  The monitor has two connectors:
VGA and DVI.  I get the same results connecting the two with a
VGA cable and a DVI cable.  I have not yet tested the HDMI output.

The motherboard is a Biostar TA790GX XE, conveniently listed
at Newegg as item N82E16813138140.  The monitor (LCD panel)
worked recently at 2048x1152 driven with a 10-year-old Matrox
and the same VGA cable.  It's a Samsung model 2343BWX.

I have started downloading the files to install the i686 version
of Debian Squeeze, instead of the amd64 version, just in case
I have run into a word-length bug.  I should have a chance to
try that this weekend.

   - Larry