Desperately need the elographics input driver back.

Bernhard Prell BernhardPrell at vantagefilm.com
Wed Jun 2 03:04:57 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I am completely new to this list and want to apologize if I violate some
written or unwritten law (list etiquette) but I am under great (time)
pressure.

Today I updated a linux installation to xorg 1.7 (the distribution is gentoo
btw.) and was confronted with a message that support for the elographics
driver was dropped. I tried to find out more and read on an OpenSolaris page
that no one in the world is interested in this anymore and that there are no
maintainers for it. First let me say that you can still easily buy touch-
controllers and touch-monitors from Elotouch that need this driver. And the
company that I work for still builds kiosk-like systems with this touch-
controller and will do so for at least the next five years...

I would be very thankful if someone who has the knowledge to work in the
necessary ABI-changes to make this driver work again could do it. I would need
it so desperately that I would even try to do it myself, but of course I know
absolutly nothing about xorg-driver-development and it probably would take me
ages to get into it.

I already tricked the gentoo installer so that it tries to compile the driver.
It says:

xf86Elo.c: In function 'xf86EloControl':
xf86Elo.c:800: warning: passing argument 3 of 'InitButtonClassDeviceStruct'
from incompatible pointer type
xf86Elo.c:800: error: too few arguments to function
'InitButtonClassDeviceStruct'
xf86Elo.c:824: warning: passing argument 3 of 'InitValuatorClassDeviceStruct'
makes pointer from integer without a cast
xf86Elo.c:824: error: too few arguments to function
'InitValuatorClassDeviceStruct'
xf86Elo.c:833: error: too few arguments to function 'InitValuatorAxisStruct'
xf86Elo.c:837: error: too few arguments to function 'InitValuatorAxisStruct'

Maybe someone can supply me with a working xf86Elo.c or can point me to a
person I can ask, or point me to a document where I can find the information
to fix it myself (quickly). If I should become the maintainer of the driver
because nobody else wants to do it, who should I "inquire" to :-) ?

Thank you very in advance,

Bernhard