Custom modeline in 10-monitor.conf?

Robert shadows88 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 14:09:07 PST 2010

On 12/04/2010 09:23 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Robert wrote:
>> I upgraded xorg-server and I noticed it didn't read my settings. I
>> figured that the new xorg probably must have deprecated the xorg.conf
>> file, and that I would have to configure it in the new way of using
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d instead.
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not deprecated, and is still read by the upstream code.
> Some input device entries there are ignored since the advent of input hotplug,
> but that's been true since Xorg 1.4 or so.
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d extends /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but does not replace it.
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d is intended to replace .fdi files for input device
> configuration that were used by HAL for platforms which have moved off HAL.
>
>> And sure enough, the arch linux wiki said
>> that 10-monitor.conf is the new config file for monitor settings.
>
> That's a file created by your distro and a choice they've made to put
> monitor settings there.
>
> (Sorry, I don't know why your driver isn't honoring your modeline, but
>   it shouldn't be because of the file you put it in.   I would bet it has
>   a lot more to do with the Intel driver doing modesetting in the kernel
>   instead of Xorg since the advent of KMS.)

Thank you for responding so quickly.

Hmm I see. So it's distro specific. That seems rather unintuitive to be
honest. But anyway, if I'm not mistaken, xf86-video-intel 2.12.0 also
had KMS enabled, and I used that with the previous xorg together with
these modelines just fine. When I upgraded, it upgraded both xorg, mesa,
intel-dri and xf86-video-intel so it's kinda hard to tell where the
issue is.

I want to highlight these lines in the Xorg.0.log that seem strange:

[  2600.143] (II) intel(0): Output LVDS1 using monitor section ViewSonic
P227f

[  2600.275] (II) intel(0): Output VGA1 has no monitor section

It's supposed to be VGA1 that uses the monitor section "ViewSonic P227f"
Is this also affected by the driver? I'm sorry I'm not very good with
xorg and how it works :(