Different color depths per head by default?

Csillag Kristof csillag.kristof at united-consult.hu
Sun Sep 13 18:22:55 PDT 2009

Dear all,

I have encountered another weird thing when setting up my displays.

On X startup, the gradient background image of the login
screen fills up both screens (as it should).
On the right monitor (connected to DVI-0), the gradient is continuous,
but on the left one (connected to DVI-1), large stripes are visible.

Previously, I seen such stripes when I was using 16bpp
(instead of 24 or 32bpp), but in the current configuration,
I have not done anything to configure the color depth,
so I would except that everything comes up in full true color.

There is 64Mb of RAM available on the FireMV 2400 card,
so video RAM should not be a problem this time.

I have taken a look in the resulting X log, but I could not find
any sign of using 16bpp... still, it is painfully obvious from
the picture I see.

(If I put up any gradient image, the difference is obvious.)

The same problem only appears in single screen mode with DVI-1.

Do you have any idea what could be the reason for this?

Thank you for your help:

    Kristof Csillag