Kdrive problem

haitham akah haitham_akah at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 17 00:32:40 PDT 2009

I have an ARM9 embedded kit with built-in LCD controller.
if compiled the kernel with FreamBuffer enabled and Graphical console enabled. I get the Linux logo on my LCD and the console is connected to the /dev/fb0.

but when I try to start the x server (startx)
I get this error:
FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Backtrace (1 deep):
0: Xfbdev [0x43fc4]

FatalError re-entered, aborting
Segmentation fault caught

twm:  unable to open display ":0"
killall: Xfbdev: no process killed

I even tryed: Xfbdev -screen 320x240 . but I got the same result.
so I traced the call to fb_ioctl in fb_mem.c I found that it was called twice, the first one it return normaly while the second it returned with error.
so I assumed that (because I don't have virtual fb) it found the first screen used by the console. that is why it conflected with it.

so I disable the use of graphical console in the kernel. then startx. I get:

Fatal server error:
no screens found

twm:  unable to open display ":0"
killall: Xfbdev: no process killed

and when I try to dispaly any information on the /dev/fb0 I can't see it on the LCD.

any help or ideas will be great.
thanks

yours
Haitham Medhat