LibX11 and libXrender dependency loop?

Wed Nov 11 13:40:28 PST 2009

Jon Grosshart wrote:
> Here is LibX11:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Xorg7.5/source/lib/
> libX11-1.3.2/specs'
> Making all in libX11
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/tmp/Xorg7.5/source/lib/libX11-1.3.2/specs/libX11'
>   GEN    libX11.txt
>   GEN    libX11.ps
>   GEN    libX11.html
>   GEN    libX11.pdf
> gs: error while loading shared libraries: libXrender.so.1: cannot open

Your problem is an incorrectly installed gs (presumably being called via
ps2pdf) - you shouldn't have installed it without it's dependencies.
If ps2pdf wasn't installed, the pdf build would be skipped.

> How is one supposed to go building the libs section of X11R7.5? I'm
> using all versions that can be found in the 7.5 release directory. This
> one has me kinda stumped.

But you somehow installed a ps2pdf that depended on libXrender either
without libXrender first or deleted libXrender afterwards.   Don't do
that.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com