Should RRGetCrtcInfo return panning bounds?

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon Jan 12 08:35:32 PST 2009

On Jan 09, 09 10:39:07 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> RRGetCrtcInfo currently returns the x/y/width/height of the current CRTC
> view, and not the panning region. This seems wrong to me -- the panning
> region is the logical area displayed by the CRTC.

Hm. I don't know. It's just not defined yet.

I think there is no other place to get the actually visible CRTC view
from, and I don't know what is better suited for RandR 1.2 applications
to behave nicely.

Width and height can be trivially fetched from the mode, but I think
that's not true for the position. If we were to change semantics here,
we should add that to RRGetPanning (given that the "standard" is not
standardized yet, we can change it), so we would have to add another two
CARD16 values for current x and y.

Also, this would probably influence xrandr quite a bit.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          mat at mshopf.de