exclude programs from input device grabs

Patrick Sebastian Zimmermann patrick at zakweb.de
Wed Jan 7 06:55:58 PST 2009

Hello,
this is my first post to this list, so hi everyone.

I'd like to program a mechanism for the xserver that allows certain
programs to recieve input events even when they are grabbed by another
program. This would allow X keygrabbers to work even when other
programs grabbed the keyboard (eg. most programs when having a menu
open, and most games).

Since this bears a certain security risk (a malicious keygrabber
can overhear all entered passwords), I'm not sure if
such a feature would be accepted.

Is there any chance for somethink like this to get into the tree?
Any other ideas?

Greetings,
Patrick