2.6.30-rc2 + xorg-intel-2.7.0 + DRM_I915_KMS = corruption

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Wed Apr 29 09:06:07 PDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:49:47 +0100
Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker at bennee.com> wrote:

> 2009/4/28 Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org>:
> > On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 06:37:10 +0100
> > Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker at bennee.com> wrote:

> >> Apparently I was missing a key bit and had to enable fbdev from the
> >> command line:
> >>
> >> kernel /kernel-2.6-drm root=/dev/sda2
> >> video=intelfb:mode=1440x900-32 at 75,accel,hwcursor
> >>
> >> However I still saw the same corruption kick in when GDM started. I
> >> couldn't switch mode either which kinda defeated the point.
> >
> > The above seems to indicate that you have some FB drivers built into
> > your kernel; that will likely fail in weird ways.  Try disabling all
> > the FB drivers, but keep CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE enabled.  Then
> > when you load the i915 driver you should get a nice console.
>
> Ahh, I was under the (mistaken) impression that the kernel
> frame-buffer drivers where linked to the console frame buffer driver
> and needed for it to work well. Disabling them all and I do indeed get
> a lovely framebuffer console on boot up but still the same corruption
> when GDM starts. I'm also still not able to switch back to the console
> like I can with KMS disabled.
>
> I've attached my .config, a dump of the dmesg of the failing case and
> a broken and working Xorg.log (working being no KMS and the Linus tree
> rather than the intel-drm tree, although I have tested the Linus tree
> fails with KMS enabled in the same way).

Ok so you're getting a good console, that's a start. :)

This really sounds like one of the tiling related issues that should be
fixed now, but if you're on the latest bits...

Can you try setting the tiling option to false in your xorg.conf?
Also, please file a bug for this at bugs.freedesktop.org with your X
log & dmesg from your latest config; you can just assign it to me.

Thanks,