2.6.30-rc2 + xorg-intel-2.7.0 + DRM_I915_KMS = corruption

Alex Bennee kernel-hacker at bennee.com
Wed Apr 29 00:49:47 PDT 2009

2009/4/28 Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org>:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 06:37:10 +0100
> Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker at bennee.com> wrote:
>
>> 2009/4/27 Florian Mickler <florian at mickler.org>:

>> Apparently I was missing a key bit and had to enable fbdev from the
>> command line:
>>
>> kernel /kernel-2.6-drm root=/dev/sda2
>> video=intelfb:mode=1440x900-32 at 75,accel,hwcursor
>>
>> However I still saw the same corruption kick in when GDM started. I
>> couldn't switch mode either which kinda defeated the point.
>
> The above seems to indicate that you have some FB drivers built into
> your kernel; that will likely fail in weird ways.  Try disabling all
> the FB drivers, but keep CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE enabled.  Then when
> you load the i915 driver you should get a nice console.

Ahh, I was under the (mistaken) impression that the kernel
frame-buffer drivers where linked to the console frame buffer driver
and needed for it to work well. Disabling them all and I do indeed get
a lovely framebuffer console on boot up but still the same corruption
when GDM starts. I'm also still not able to switch back to the console
like I can with KMS disabled.

I've attached my .config, a dump of the dmesg of the failing case and
a broken and working Xorg.log (working being no KMS and the Linus tree
rather than the intel-drm tree, although I have tested the Linus tree
fails with KMS enabled in the same way).

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
CV: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/cv.php