Xorg and multiple graphics cards

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Apr 28 10:47:33 PDT 2009

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck at madduck.net> [2009.04.28.1806 +0200]:
> I tried with EXA in all four sections, and the result I get is
> another segfault:

Julien pointed me to commit
faf7dfa099f5b42a703313fbd1bf8afdad07a179, which seems to solve that
problem.

Unfortunately, like the hydra, this gave way to more problems.
Remember I have a dual-card triple-head Zaphod setup, so the heads
are 0-0, 0-1, and 1-0, where the latter is the first and only head
on the second card. Both cards are Radeon 9200:

00:0c.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO] (Secondary) (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200] (rev 01)

1. The 1-0 head has plenty of weird pixelation errors, making fonts
   only barely readable

2. X (as well as console-setup on tty) seem to believe the screens
   are taller and place the bottom edge below the physical edge,
   meaning I cannot see the bottom centimetre or so. Auto-adjust
   does not fix this on any of the heds.

3. When moving the mouse from head to head, the "old" pointer is
   left on the edge of the head we just left, and stays there while
   a "new" pointer moves about on the entered head. When moving
   back, the "new" pointer stays at the edge, and the "old" pointer
   is resumed.

4. Switching to tty1 causes screen corruption and the tty is
   actually never displayed. Switching to X on :0 (I used :1 to
   test) restores heads 0-0 and 1-0, but head 0-1 stays black --
   until I reboot.

It feels like progress, but it's not where I need to be yet...

I now have a good feeling of the software and can easily test
commits, so if you have anything...

Cheers,

plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net