Sluggish 2D with radeon Xpress 200M

Damien Mir mailings.xorg at mirabel-sil.com
Mon Apr 27 03:42:42 PDT 2009

>> I recently installed Opensuse 11.1 on a HP Pavilion dv8000 ( with XPRESS
>> 200M graphics ), shipped with Xorg 7.4
>> (--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)" (ChipID =
>> 0x5955)
>>
>> I am experiencing some kind of slow 2D performance, never seen before on
>> any system or previous distro :
>

> If you are using a GL based compositor (compiz or kwin with GL), there
> was a regression with the latest mesa release:
> http://www.nabble.com/R300-regression-td23108996.html

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure, because it occurs in KDE 3.5, without any window effects.
And once again, even if it is not dramatically sluggish, it is for sure
slower than xorg 6.8 XAA.

When I switch desktops with a lot of KDE windows on them, it takes more
than 1-2 seconds to complete and xorg burns a lot of CPU.

Btw, same with Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.2 (without any effects). When I
switch desktops, Dolphin or Konqueror windows take one or two seconds to
reappear completely...

How can I see more precisely what eats CPU inside the Xorg process ?