Documentation?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Thu Apr 9 07:55:55 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 10:48 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 04/09/2009 10:37 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > In the perfect world the monitor would report the DPI reliably to the
> > Xserver which would adopt it and everything would just work.
> > Unfortunately monitors report rather varied things, the dominant OS
> > product appears to ignore the monitor value entirely (so the monitor
> > doesn't get corrected) and everyone forces an OS dependant DPI in their
> > desktop ignoring all the monitor info.
>
> All we want is a community call to gather HAL .fdi info for all common display
> devices...

Again, this isn't sufficient; you also have to know the (typical)
viewing distance of the screen.

Any such call should be made in such a way we get enough information to
actually be useful....  DPI itself isn't enough...  We need two pieces
of information, one of which is a nice simple number, the second of
which is at best an approximation.  But without the second, the first
isn't very useful.
                          - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org>