Help interpreting evdev error messages?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Apr 8 16:38:58 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:29:53AM -0700, walt wrote:
> Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 06:52:42PM -0700, walt wrote:
> >> My linux distribution (gentoo) just updated to xorg-server 1.5.3
> >> and evdev 2.1.3.
> >>
> >> I have it almost-but-not-quite working...the mouse works except
>  >> for emulate-wheel, which was working before the update.
> >> Section "InputDevice"
> >>       Identifier     "Mouse0"
> >>       Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>
> > /dev/input/mice is not an evdev device...
>
> Thanks, that was what I needed. Happily, when I use the correct
> device the correct emulate-wheel button is read from xorg.conf.
>
> I still see errors from X, though.  Are these normal?
>
> (**) Option "CorePointer"
> (**) Mouse0: always reports core events
> (**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
> (II) Mouse0: Found 5 mouse buttons
> (II) Mouse0: Found x and y relative axes
> (II) Mouse0: Configuring as mouse
> (**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "True"
> (II) Mouse0: Forcing middle mouse button emulation on.
> (**) Option "EmulateWheel" "True"
> (**) Option "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
> (**) Mouse0: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
> (**) Mouse0: EmulateWheelButton: 8, EmulateWheelInertia: 10,
> EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
> (**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
> (**) Keyboard0: always reports core events
> (**) Keyboard0: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
> (II) Keyboard0: Found keys
> (II) Keyboard0: Configuring as keyboard
> (II) evaluating device (Mouse0)
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
> (II) evaluating device (Keyboard0)
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
> (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
> (**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
> (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"   <************ From 10-keymap.fdi? ***

us is the built-in default, so unless you overwrite it in 10-keymap.fdi or
some other file, then that's correct.

> (II) config/hal: Adding input device ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse
> (**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: always reports core events
> (**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
> (WW) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: device file already in use. Ignoring.
> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"   <************** Is this normal? *******

if the device file is in use, this device doesn't start up (evdev has internal
duplication detection). if a device doesn't start up, the module is unloaded
(but since the modules have refcounts, it's not actuall unloaded until the
last device is removed)

> (EE) PreInit returned NULL for "ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse"
> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed
>
> In spite of these errors the mouse is working perfectly now.
>
> The man page for evdev says nothing about the keyboard, oddly.
> My keyboard is not a standard pc105 so some of my keys are cross-
> wired, e.g. the up-arrow key sends a PrtScn/SysRq instead. Do I
> need to customize 10-keymap.fdi?

this is a sign that your core keyboard loads with the xfree86 map. there's a
patch for 1.5.3 that should get rid of this problem by flushing the keymap
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/xorg-x11-server/F-10/xserver-1.5.0-force-SwitchCoreKeyboard-for-evdev.patch?revision=1.1&view=markup

having said all that, why do you bother with the xorg.conf? you could just
remove the mouse/keyboard sections and let the server do the rest
automatically. The only real change you want to your configuration is the
mouse wheel emulation button - which you can dump into the fdi file.

Cheers,
  Peter