Documentation?

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Wed Apr 8 15:20:04 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 11:47:28PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> I don't think anyone here can promise you any given piece of software
> will last 15 years, but given GTK and Firefox use Cairo (gecko not
> widget-side only), OpenOffice.org is being converted to use it, and
> they're all massive codebases with huge install bases, I'd say the
> chances of cairo not being deployed on a current system, or going away
> in the next 5 years, are pretty slight.

While it seems highly probably that something called cairo will still
exist in 5 years, whether it will be in any way compatible with
current's cairo seems on the other hand highly improbable.  Outside of
the kernel compatibility seems to be considered unimportant nowadays.
Add to that explicit measures against shared libraries and you end up
with a very short lifetime for both source and binaries.

  OG.