Documentation?

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Wed Apr 8 14:00:36 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 01:13:32PM -0700, Mark Wagner wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 01:19, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Le Mar 7 avril 2009 22:41, Mark Wagner a écrit :
> >
> >> Thanks.  Is there any documentation on the best way to do various
> >> high-level tasks, such as drawing images?
> >
> > As already discussed, for higher-level tasks you'll be better of going
> > through a higher-level library such as cairo.
> >
> > cairo is not listed proeminently as an X component, because it also
> > works on non-X systems but it is a core library for anything doing GUI
> > stuff under X nowadays (with the exception of QT apps, but QT has a
> > wider scope than cairo)
>
> How standard is Cairo?  The proof-of-concept app from 15 years ago

Well, I'd go to the source, rather than rely on comments.

Quoting from

	http://cairographics.org/documentation/

	Documentation for cairo is an area that could always be greatly
	improved.  Contributions are very welcome!

doesn't sound promising.  Nor does

	Please download one of the latest releases in order to get an
	API-stable version of cairo.

If only the latest release is "API-stable", by definition it's not stable.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net