Help interpreting evdev error messages?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Apr 7 20:45:16 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 06:52:42PM -0700, walt wrote:
> My linux distribution (gentoo) just updated to xorg-server 1.5.3
> and evdev 2.1.3.
>
> I have it almost-but-not-quite working.  The keyboard works
> correctly AFAICT and the mouse works except for emulate-wheel,
> which was working before the update.
>
> I see these errors from the X server:
>
> (**) Option "CorePointer"
> (**) Mouse0: always reports core events
> (**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
> (EE) ioctl EVIOCGBIT failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> (EE) PreInit returned NULL for "Mouse0"
> (**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
> (**) Keyboard0: always reports core events
> (EE) Keyboard0: No device specified.
> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> (EE) PreInit returned NULL for "Keyboard0"
> (II) config/hal: Adding input device ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse
> (**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: always reports core events
> (**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
> (II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Found 5 mouse buttons **WRONG**
> (II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
> (II) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: Configuring as mouse
> (**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
> (**) ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4,**WRONG**
> EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer
> Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
> (II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
> (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
> (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
> (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
> (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
> (type: KEYBOARD)
> (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
> (**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
> (**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
>
> I have this in xorg.conf:
> Section "InputDevice"
>      Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>      Driver         "evdev"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>      Identifier     "Mouse0"
>      Driver         "evdev"
>      Option         "Protocol" "auto"
>      Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

/dev/input/mice is not an evdev device, so the device fails to be set up
(EE) ioctl EVIOCGBIT failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
instead, the device is picked up by the HAL configuration files which have the
default settings, including the wheel emulation button on 4.

>      Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "True"
>      Option         "EmulateWheel" "True"
>      Option         "EmulateWheelButton" "8"  <---NOTE
> EndSection
>
> As you can see, EmulateWheel is broken because the button has
> the wrong value, I'm guessing because the evdev module was un-
> loaded for some reason.
>
> I have CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y in my kernel config.
>
> Any idea where I'm going wrong?

copy /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-x11-input.fdi into
/etc/hal/fdi/policy and then edit it accordingly to have a match rule against
your device* (or all devices) to merge the key
input.x11_options.EmulateWheelButton with the value 8. then restart HAL,
verify the key actually shows up (lshal | grep x11_options should do) and
restart X.

Note that the /usr/share/hal/... file may be in a different location gentoo,
not sure about that.

Cheers,
  Peter