Documentation?

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 13:41:10 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:07, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 17:43 -0700, Mark Wagner wrote:
>
>> Are there programming references for the various extensions, or do I
>> need to work from protocol specifications and uncommented header
>> files?
>
> Much of the old Xlib documentation was paid for by the Open Group or its
> predecessors.  No one's paid to write new doc in ~10 years or so.
>
> For many of the extensions, the API is a straightforward mapping to the
> protocol, and the protocol documentation attempts to be sufficiently
> comprehensive.  If it's not, please let us know!

Thanks.  Is there any documentation on the best way to do various
high-level tasks, such as drawing images?  One of the big things I
need to update is the toolkit's image-handling code: right now, a
simple JPEG splashscreen takes seven seconds to draw. A good howto on
dealing with copy/paste would also be useful.

>> Is this the best mailing list for any questions I have, or is there a
>> better one?
>
> This one's fine, yes.

Seems a bit prone to flamewars, though.

--