Documentation?

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at iki.fi
Tue Apr 7 03:27:37 PDT 2009

On 2009-04-07 11:36 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> The core X11 font system just can not scale to modern requirements.

Works fine for me, good-looking fonts without any effort.
Out-of-the-box! Not so with blur-fascist Xft/fontconfig,
where you have to compile bytecode interpreters and _sudo_
touch horrible XML and symlink.d vomit.

The only problem with core fonts is the blur-fascist elite
not bothering to fix UTF-8 fontset support, so there you have
some problems.

> And that's ignoring its propensity to crash apps at the slightest
> excuse.

The requirements haven't changed in twenty years. Screen resolutions
still suck. You need fonts specifically designed for screens -- that is,
bitmaps, or outline fonts with good hinting for unblurred rendering.

Blurring is the approach of the lazy arrogant elite that feeds shit to
the masses, and doesn't want to go through the extra work of creating
hinting/bitmaps. And when the screen resolutions stop sucking, blurring
has defeated itself, as black&white rasterisation effects also become
unnoticeable.

But don't mind me, the last person who wants good fonts. I have
already switched to Windows from the sinking ship known as Linux.

--
In 1995, Linux was almost a bicycle; an alternative way of live to the
Windows petrol beasts that had to be taken to the dealer for service.