multihead / dual input howto (two local users, keyboards etc.)?

Mader, Alexander (N-MSR) Alexander.Mader at niles.de
Mon Sep 8 21:30:38 PDT 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
> Does anyone know any up-to-date HOWTO for setting up multihead / dual
> input - two graphics cards running on one PC, with two local users, with
> two keyboards, running separate X sessions?

Hello,

for my set-up I found help with the following sites:

http://blog.chris.tylers.info/index.php?/archives/14-Multiseat-X-Under-X11R6.97.0.html
http://wiki.debian.org/Multi_Seat_Debian_HOWTO
http://netpatia.blogspot.com/2008/02/multiseat-computer-with-ubuntu-804.html

It is up & running for more than 4 months now: AMD K7, AGP nVidia card
(nv35), ATI PCI card (r600 with internal PCIe to PCI). I am using nv and
radeon from xorg as provided by Debian testing and sometimes Debian
unstable. Even with the partly (very) old components everything works
fine. We are not in gaming, though :-)

> What I'm finding in the internet are either old / XFree based documents,
> mostly incomplete etc.

Even if the guides are partly dated I found them useful.

If you are interested, I could send my conf files in the evening
(European time).

Best regards & good luck,
--
Alexander Mader <alexander.mader at niles.de>