Making one multiseat user able to switch vts?

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Mon Nov 17 18:50:33 PST 2008

Kārlis Repsons escreveu:
> In general it would be nice, if multiseat workstation administrator could
> switch to vt[1-6]. Does Xorg support it somehow and is it possible to
> implement (well, kindly ask someone to do it) such option? Otherwise
> multiseat on Linux is quite problematic, if no ssh is used...
> (also I noticed a problem with multiseat, that, if I stop X and login manager
> permanently, I still could not switch to any vts)

It's complicated. Pci-rework, through libpciaccess, cleaned a bunch of
the mess that was living in our server. But that wasn't good enough.
There's still some issues that don't let us remove the entirely Xorg's
pci layer. And this is the point: there's a lot of pci users (VGACon,
framebuffer, Xorg and possibly others) in your system fighting for the
same piece of hardware.

With lucky the kernel based modesetting will let the code more nice and
trivial to remove more things from the server. Dave obtained a very nice
demo recently starting a rootless X server.

Cheers,

PS: really, try to avoid a single machine to configure your multiseat
box. No one needs text console in our current world.

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre