xf86-video-intel-2.5.0 is slow

Vasily Khoruzhick anarsoul at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:39:50 PST 2008

On 4 November 2008 20:44:26 Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 12:54 +0200, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 November 2008 11:52:15 you wrote:
> > > Mesa 7.2 is not enough for GEM to work. You need latest git.
> > >
> > > Grab dri2proto, drm(for libdrm only, not linux-core), mesa, and
> > > xf86-video-intel for GEM enabled kernel.
> > > Also make sure You have xserver-xorg-core 1.5.x (with EXA method as UXA
> > > is still a bit buggy and needs dri2)
> > >
> > > Do this if You dont plan to use blender, there are still some bugs,
> > > only compiz and desktop acceleration works well.

> > So, you mean that I can't get 3D with gem-enabled kernel and non-gem
> > mesa? I don't want any fancy dri2-things, just old mature dri :)
> >
> > The thing is that in 2.6.27 irda subsystem is broken, and sane patches to
> > fix it exists only for 2.6.28... So I tried to use 2.6.28 RCs... So, ok,
> > I'll rollback to 2.6.26 kernel :)
>
> pre-GEM Mesa is supposed to work fine with a GEM kernel.  It pretty much
> did last we tested it.  However, as it's compatibility code we're not
> putting testing or development time on it now.

Yes, it works, and glxinfo reports that direct rendering is enabled, but it is
soooooooooooo sloooooooooooooow :(

I've just installed mesa/libdrm/xf86-video-intel from git. And any GL-game is
still really slow, even Secret Maryo Chronicles :( compiz works, but effects
is not smooth, wobbly windows effect is slow, animation effects are slow...
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object and GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object appeared in glxinfo,
but qtdemo still says that there's no pixel buffer support on my system,
framebuffer object demo works but with artefacts (see attached screen shot),
framebuffer object demo-2 works without issues.

glxgears shows ~300fps, better that before, but it is not 900 fps as with
non-gem kernel :(

So, I'm going back to 2.6.26 kernel...

P.S. When all this GEM-stuff will be ready for testing on my gma950?