Xorg from GIT + xkb => strange error

Johannes Engel jcnengel at googlemail.com
Fri May 30 06:25:44 PDT 2008

Hello,

I observe a somehow very strange (at least for me) error using my
modular X.org from GIT build. I also installed xkeyboardconfig-1.3.
What I see is the following:

Starting the X-server works as long as I do not press any key during the
startup process. Once a window manager (KDE, FVWM ...) is started the
keyboard works as expected. But pressing the key during startup process
(while screen is gray with that little X for the mouse cursor) crashes
the whole server. The X stays in the middle of the screen, the rest of
it turns black and it does not react anymore for keystrokes, except
Magic SysRq keys.

I will attach the console output (xkbX_nocompose.log) and the X server's
log (Xorg.0.log_nocompose) of the following command sequence:
Xorg & sleep 10s; xkbcomp :0

I tried that because the problem does not happen, if I remove the xkb
rules file configured in xorg.conf.

I also did not experience this behaviour before MPX merge, though I do
not know if it is related to that at all.

My hardware is a Dell Latitude D820
intel 945GM

Can someone give me a hint how to solve that problem? (Not to press any
key during startup is no solution, since this prevents me from login via
kdm/gdm; yep, the password entry is the problem ;))

Thanks a lot, Johannes