OT: Firefox and while(1) sync(); [was: Radeon: random bits...]

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Mon May 26 17:04:04 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 22:02 +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> > http://shaver.off.net/diary/2008/05/25/fsyncers-and-curveballs/
>
> Bollocks.
>
> They're using a full-fledged SQL database with strong integrity
> guarantees for my browsing *history*.  No amount of fancy blogging can
> disguise how utterly brain-damaged that is.

Oh come ON!

SQLite is hardly what I'd call a 'full-fledged SQL database'. It's a
simple and *very* fast storage engine that lets people save stuff in a
sane format without reinventing the wheel.

As the blog points out, most users with performance problems are running
ext3. Others are apparently using nfs. In this case in particular, I
have to laugh when someone puts their home folder on an nfs share ( over
wireless too, I bet ... ) and then complains that things are slow.

I haven't checked yet ( because I don't care ), but have YOU checked
whether there is an 'fsync interval' setting? If not, I can't imagine it
would be difficult to implement. But you'd have one less thing to
complain about then ...

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer