Newbie at X Windows

Andre Müller andre.muller at web.de
Fri May 16 07:31:50 PDT 2008

Deepak Bhatia wrote:
| Hi,
|
| When I run xinit, I get the following message
|
| =====================================================
| [deepak at localhost bin]$ xinit
|
| Fatal server error:
| PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
|         Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
|
| Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
|          at http://wiki.X.Org
|  for help.
|

| Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
| Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

You should look at xhost, which is responsible
for access control. Prolly just turn it
off altogether with "xhost -" and then
work your way until it meets your paranoia :-)

The man-page is jolly good, btw.

Best, Andre

| giving up.
| xinit:  unable to connect to X server
| xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  unexpected signal 2.
| =============================================================
|
| If I am the root then I get following message
| ==============================================================
| [root at localhost ~]# xinit
|
| \
| Fatal server error:
| Server is already active for display 0
|         If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
|         and start again.
|

| Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
|          at http://wiki.X.Org
|  for help.
| ============================================================
|
| Best Regards
|
| Deepak Bhatia
|
| Disclaimer:
|
| This message and any attachment(s) contained here are information that
is confidential, proprietary to NEC HCL System Technologies and its
customers. Contents may be privileged or otherwise protected by law. The
information is solely intended for the individual or the entity it is
addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you
are not authorized to read, forward, print, retain, copy or disseminate
this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete
it from your computer.