intel: lvds-pipe shared with another output?

Simon Pasch fpasch at googlemail.com
Tue May 13 08:43:47 PDT 2008

Hello,

We want to use an intel 945gm in a slightly unusual setup here (it's
for an embedded device):
Output 1 should be displayed over LVDS and TMDS-1
Output 2 (right of Output 1) should be displayed over a second
SDVO-Chip (named Unknown-2 in driver, but seems to work
out-of-the-box)

We have successfully used intel-driver 2.3.1 for displaying one single
output on all screens simultaneously. Displaying two different outputs
over TMDS-1 and Unknown-2 was successful only if we disabled
lvds-output first. But we didn't managed to get it working in the
above mentioned way.

So the question is:
Is it possible to share the LVDS-pipe (named "1" by xrandr) with
another output (for example TMDS-1, which claims to be usable over
pipe 0 and 1)?

And, by the way, can LVDS only be used over Pipe 1 because of
hardware-limitations. or is it only driver-related?  I've seen the
following code in i830_lvds.c:

    if (intel_crtc->pipe == 0) {
	xf86DrvMsg(pScrn->scrnIndex, X_ERROR,
		   "Can't support LVDS on pipe A\n");