[RFC] Randr 1.3 feature - get property

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Tue Mar 4 17:19:03 PST 2008

Right now, the Randr core code will just return the current (cached) property
value when a get property request comes in.  This is fine in many cases, but
fails in others, for example when fetching backlight brightness after some
other agent has changed its value.

This patch adds the core server code to call back to a driver's get_property
routine, which should update the property, which the Randr core will then
return.

I haven't implemented the i830_lvds.c portion of this, but it should be
trivial.

Any thoughts?  Am I on the right track here?

There are still several 1.3 features I haven't seen patches for yet:
  - dpms events (notify clients of dpms changes)
  - per-output dpms controls
  - panning rectangle
  - client hotplug notification (or is that already possible?)

Thanks,
Jesse