modular -> monolithic

Egbert Eich eich at freedesktop.org
Wed Jan 23 02:45:34 PST 2008

Eric Anholt writes:

 > > New contributor follows instructions, uses build.sh script, after a
 > > full day of building on his slow computer the build fails in the
 > > middle in a mysterious way.
 >
 > This is why I think we should remove the existing modular build
 > instructions.
 >
 > If a user is asking "how do I build every xorg module?", they're doing
 > it wrong.  But when they ask "how do I get updated xorg bits?", we're
 > answering "here's how you build every xorg module", when we should be
 > telling them "install xorg from your distro, then build server and video
 > driver".

Sorry, on the one hand we argue "we need to have everything(*) in one
place to be able to build everything together to make sure we avoid
breakages" on the other hand we are saying: "don't use tools to
build everything things may be broken".
These seem to contradict each other. Either we all should more often
build everything (where build.sh is one way to do it) or we don't
care about breakages, in this case having everything in one tree
to force people to avoid breakages is a moot point anyhow.

If things break they should be fixed - instead of telling people
not to build them.
Which also seems to be the paradigm behind the former argument.

Cheers,
	Egbert.

(*) On the server side at least.