10-50% CPU used by xorg?

Daniel Kasak dan at entropy.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 18 22:44:46 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 18:05 +0100, Ben E. Hard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it normal, that Xorg uses something between 10 to 50 (or even more) percent
> of my CPU (according to top)? I have a i830M with intel from git on a vaio
> laptop with a Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU  1000MHz, and a dual-screen
> setup.
>
> Sometimes the system is quite slow and I wonder, if this might be related to
> xorg.

Your question lacks any substance that could be of use in answering.
What is running on X? An xterm? Gnome? Tuxracer? What version of X? What
drivers? What config options?

We have Intel 855G -based systems at work, and sometimes X takes up 50%
of our CPU as well ... perhaps you use your system the same way we use
ours?

Dan