intel and uvesafb

Ben E. Hard bve at gmx.de
Mon Feb 18 03:36:17 PST 2008

Am Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2008 schrieb Keith Packard:
> On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 00:56 +0100, Raúl Sánchez Siles wrote:
> >   But the problem is still there. Who's the responsibility on? Both
> > pieces should cope together somehow and someday? What do to here? is
> > anything planned about this?
>
> Jesse Barnes and Dave Airlie have added video modesetting to the kernel
> DRM driver. With a uniform kernel mechanism for configuring video modes,
> we can have fancy graphical boot setups and X at the same time. The DRM
> code is sitting on a branch, and we're hoping to merge it to master in a
> few months, after the TTM code is working a bit better.

So that means, if I am not able to use vesafb on the console with newest intel
for X (at the moment, I can't switch back to the console once X startet, the
console being black), I have to wait until DRM is merged to master? How will
the graphical boot setup work then, without a framebuffer?

Greetings,
Ben