Fwd: X.org PCI changes breaks support for Silicon Motion SM720 Lynx3DM card?

Richard Schwarting aquarichy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 12:49:15 PST 2008

Right.

So, VT switching does work before suspend.

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:51, Francisco Jerez <currojerez at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Richard Schwarting" <aquarichy at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hey.  The patches cured XAA slowness for me and obviate the need for
>> the "UseBIOS" "NO" option for both EXA and XAA for me.  Hurrah.
>>
>> I mentioned before that after suspending in Fedora, resuming gives me
>> a blank screen.  If I do any VT switches, than light streaks start
>> forming starting from the top and bottom edge and bleeding across
>> vertically across the screen.
>>
>> This is with XAA acceleration, but it happens with EXA as well.
>>
>> When I had a working Ubuntu installation last week, I was able to
>> suspend and restore freely.  Is this likely a Fedora issue and not the
>> driver/X?
>
> Hi, I've got some questions:
>
> Does VT switching work before suspending? You may still need to
> specify the UseBIOS off option for it to work.

VT switching works without UseBIOS (at least as of patch 0005).

> Also, are you suspending to disk or ram? Does it restore the video
> state properly if you suspend on the terminal, with no X server
> started? Are you using a frontend like the hibernate script for
> suspending? Is it trying to restore the video state with something
> like vbetool? (If not, you might want to give it a try)

Suspending without X has the same effect as suspending with X.  A
blank screen that slowly bleeds white across it.

vbetool doesn't seem to help.  I will investigate this issue more
outside of X.

Do you still need anything re: the silicon motion driver?  I don't
suffer corruption under EXA or XAA and until I have suspend and resume
sorted out, I don't think there are any more issues on my system.

Thank you!
  Richard Schwarting