EXA glyph corruption

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Aug 28 12:01:15 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm working on OLPC's upcoming software release, including an update
from Fedora 7 to Fedora 9. Fedora 9 ships xserver 1.4.99.906.

Unfortunately, we encounter a rendering bug with one of our applications
(etoys). Certain components that move around the screen render badly
(leave trails, etc) when interacting with the mouse cursor.
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7612

An etoys developer narrowed this down to a small program to reproduce
the issue:
http://dev.laptop.org/attachment/ticket/7612/sqcursortest.c

It moves a green square around the screen. If you let the green square
move onto the mouse cursor, you get graphical corruption. See
http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/20080822/xshm-bug.png for a screenshot - the
mouse cursor didn't get included in the screenshot, but it is in the
white area inside the green square. The square should be solid green
even with the mouse cursor on top.

I noticed that Fedora recently added an "exa master upgrade" patch to
their xserver test builds - backporting the most recent EXA code from
master. Decided to give this a try in hope that it solves the bug.
Here is the patch:
http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/20080822/xserver-1.4.99-exa-master-upgrade.patch

The good news is that it solves the bug, here is a new screenshot:
http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/20080822/xshm-bug-fixed.png
The mouse cursor is on top of the green square in that screenshot with
no rendering glitches.

The bad news is that text rendering is now quite badly broken:
http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/20080822/text-not-ok.png
with the older X server build, that same screen looks like:
http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/20080822/text-ok.png

I backported the updated exa code from master again, this didn't help.

Jordan Crouse (geode driver author) also had a look at the text
corruption. He thinks that EXA might be passing him the wrong glyph
mask:

< CosmicPenguin> It looked to me based on whatever tag I was compiling
                 against the other day that the mask I was getting was
                 wrong
< CosmicPenguin> I only did enough work to verify that the driver was
                 rendering correctly
< CosmicPenguin> keep in mind that I may or may not be missing
                fontconfig or other support software for fully
                effective font fun
< CosmicPenguin> I am not sure at what point from file to screen the
                 font
                  was being mismanaged - all I know is that I was doing
                  whatever I was told
< CosmicPenguin> and thats not half bad

Any ideas?
We know that whatever caused the regression is some part of this patch:
http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/20080822/xserver-1.4.99-exa-master-upgrade.patch

Thanks,
Daniel