supported cards graphics

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Thu Jun 28 10:50:30 PDT 2007

Hi all,

On Thursday 28 June 2007 17:52:33 Russell Shaw wrote:
> Instituto de Ingenieria Área de Sistemas Unix/Linux wrote:
> > Hello:
> > I'm going to buy an Intel QuadCore system and I would like to install
> > FreeBSD, I'm going to use it with graphic applications so I need it to
> > work well with 3D graphic acceleration cards.
> >
> > In the Freebsd list people reply me by sending a link to the Freebsd
> > supported hardware web site, but there isn't any information about
> > graphic cards, so they tell me to check the Xorg site but i can't find
> > any information regarding supported cards.
> >
> > Could anyone help me with this?
> >
> > Thank you very much
>
> ATI proprietory linux drivers are utter garbage and NVidia ones are
> infinitely better i've found.

"Infinitely better" of "utter garbage" is still utter garbage, and if you
define "utter garbage" to live on the negative scale and multiply or
accumulate that it would expand even more so into the negative
dimension :-)

> The FOSS drivers won't give you much if any acceleration.

??? Not yet for NVidia, because they make our life so hard. But on the
other hand: the Intel, and ATi r200 FOSS drivers are quite good, and
the FOSS r300 is getting better. Hopefully the Nouveau driver for
NVidia chips (e.g. my G5 is hapily avaiting this).

Yours,