startx server error

Davie davie.yoon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:29:38 PDT 2007

I get a server error when I try to startx. Is this something I can fix, or
is it something my system administrator has to take care of? I'm not too
proficient with linux/unix, but able to type, if all that's required is for
me to change permissions or something like this. The error is below. Many
thanks if anyone can help me help myself!

Fatal server error:
PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server. Perhaps you do not have
console ownership?

Please consult The X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.X.Org for help.

Xlib: connection to "0:0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up.
xinit: unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process <errno 3>: Server error.
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console