AMD deciding _now_ what to do about Linux

Chris Pemberton cjpembo at embarqmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:10:23 PDT 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I wrote to AMD regarding the state of ATI Linux drivers..

Perhaps this is a good time for me to ask a question:

How many man hours would you estimate it would take for *experienced*
developers, using mesa, dri, drm, agpgart etc to produce a driver that
performs *better* than AMD's current drivers?  (Assuming AMD gives all
the necessary resources).  I ask this because I would first like to
understand the magnitude of what I'm asking for before I do the actual
asking.  Could anyone here offer up a rough estimate?

If we exclude the developers that are already busy with Intel and
nVidia; how many individuals with the expertise to code X11 are free to
stop whatever they're working on now and begin to code the AMD?  In
other words - is there a shortage of *available* talent?  Please don't
be offended by that last statement; it is just a question and nothing more.

Chris