A magnification idea

Eitan Isaacson eitan at ascender.com
Tue Jun 12 05:05:26 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have tried to read all the magnification threads from the last couple
of years. It seems like you guys are good at shooting down ideas, in the
good sense, so please comment on my magnificant idea :)

Not too familiar with X internals, but seeing project like XPrint makes
it clear that X11 could practically be device and resolution
independent.

Why not proxy and multiplex X clients from the traditional video server,
to a magnified server? For example, dialog appears on an unmagnified
desktop, and it's display is multiplexed to another nested server with
higher DPI. The user will see the dialog in the nested X server in a
much larger scale without any font quality loss. Things like input
should not be a problem since only one server will accept input.

Thanks,
	Eitan.