i915 limited to 1280x1280? (muli display question)

Remy Bosch remybosch at zonnet.nl
Thu Jun 7 12:21:53 PDT 2007

Bernard Siaud alias Troumad wrote:
> Remy Bosch a écrit :
>
>> Got a private mail on the virtual idea as well.
>>
> Hups... Private... I have do a error !
>
>> It works, but as I feared, the desktop is extended. Is xinemera the only way to have two
>> desktops on one system?
>>

> I my chipset i915GM xinerama don't work, but xrandr work with problem in

Ok, got the same chipset (i915).
> iceWM : http://troumad.org/xrandr-iceWM.png
> I the chipset ati of my wife, xrandr don't work, iceWM work

Looks like the issue  I noticed. As far X knows the root window extends
your two screens. So the menu makes use of that space. Don;t ask me why
it would not go to the right tough...
Does Icewm use xrandr to create the two desktops? Looks like xfce isn't
xrandr aware yet. :(
> 2 screen witj xinerama, I see :
> [troumad at localhost][~] xrandr
>
> Screen 0: minimum 1600 x 600, current 2048 x 768, maximum 2048 x 768
> default connected 2048x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>    2048x768      429.0*
>    1600x600      429.0
Not tested yet. I tried it at work with a second monitor ;)
I'll see that tomorrow.

Remy