RandR 1.3 additions?

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Jul 17 02:46:06 PDT 2007

On Jul 16, 07 12:44:44 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> That sounds like a very reasonable idea. I thought briefly of using
> standardized output names, but realized that we'd quickly end up in the
> XLFD horror where we try to pack a bunch of information into a string.

Don't. Do. That.
Misusing names for meta data is almost always a bad idea.

> If you could put together some list of such properties along with their
> standard values, I can build suitable infrastructure in the driver stack
> to implement them.

Ok, I'll do that. Will take one or two days, though.

> I don't know what beyond connector type we might need. And, TV outputs
> may be confusing as you may have component, composite or s-video
> connectors all hooked to the same hardware (as with Intel), and only at
> run-time can you tell which connector is actually in use.

That's why I rather think about connector and signal/protocol types.
Have to think about the names. It's well possible that a driver doesn't
know the connector type (DVI-I or VGA), but the signal type (VGA) should
always be known.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __