xkb rules file

Aleksej Struk astruk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 15:30:57 PST 2007

Hi,

I have the following problem. I want to write an utility that simulates
the behaviour of the setxkbmap utility.

After investigating the setxkbmap utility I have found that it uses
rules file, witch is located via the following path on my gentoo box:
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.xml I used this path in my utility. However,
the utility failed to work correctly under other os's, for example
freebsd.

Moreover, I digged X code and found that the path to the rules file
(xorg.xml) is hardcoded into X and set during the compilation. However,
there is an extern variable XkbBaseDirectory which can be used to locate
the rules file dynamically.

My question is: How can I access the XkbBaseDirectory to get the path
to the rules files on demand, without setting it during the compile time
of my utility?

Thanks in advance

--

Aleksej Struk