Intel Linux driver (i810) question

Bernt Christandl beb at MPA-Garching.MPG.DE
Wed Feb 21 06:57:31 PST 2007

Dear all,

i'm sorry if this is one of the dumb questions,
but i couldn't find an archive of this mailinglist
(neither at "marc2.theaimsgroup.com" nor elsewhere... where is it actually?)

Since years i have a growing problem and now it's really nasty:

How am i supposed to use the external VGA/Beamer-port on laptops
that have some kind of Intel-onboard-graphics under Linux with
the intellinux.org driver "i810"?

What we want to do is this: Give a presentation that includes
(selfmade) movies.

In the past (e.g. with Dell X200) we used to use "i810switch"
to turn the VGA-output on and off and everything worked fine.

Now (e.g. Dell X1) i have no good choice any longer:
If i use "i810switch" i can see the movies, but the text is
flickering heavily (actually smaller fonts become unreadable!).
Or i use "i855crt" and the text stays
rock-solid on the screen, but then the movies could only be seen
on the laptop screen, not on the "beamer-screen" (and despite the docs
i was not able to switch the movie-output over to the crt).

The above is true for whatever distro/kernel/xorg version i've tried,
until now e.g. opensuse-10.2 and xorg-7.1.1

Is this a problem of my xorg.conf? Has someone a solution? Or a hint?

With regards,

Bernt Christandl