Event to Action Mapping

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Thu Apr 12 00:56:15 PDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 11:05:15AM +0930, Peter Hutterer wrote:

> >http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2007/04/10/event-to-action-mapping-1/

> putting shortcut handling in between the hardware and X is suicide.

I understand that it would change the X-server's role, but console
applications have mappings, too.
But yeah, that's why I have 2 architecture alternatives
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/#6.1.Architecture
Could add a 3rd, where things happen above X, but applications
don't handle input directly. Actually it is likely better to
list those aspects seperately.

> if you want to enable global action events, provide a client-side
> library that can convert keyboard events to actions. apps app have to
> link in the library and call interpretationProc for events.

Yes, I have been seeing a library as one option or part of the
solution, but wouldn't one also have to consider a daemon, an
extension to X and/or extending WMs?

But I see a library as solution to make apps not useless on
platforms lacking a global mapping system:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/#6.3.Migration%20and%20Cross%20Platform%20Strategy

> Cheers,
>   Peter

Thanks.