server-1.2-branch accidentally merged with master

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Oct 11 01:41:17 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 06:48:38PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Carl Worth wrote:
> >And as Ray explained before, it will also force users that previously
> >fetched the mistake to also fetch one time with a + to fix their
> >repositories.
> >
> >All in all, it's a pretty hard hammer to hit with. In particular, if
> >anybody has pushed any changes after your mistaken commit then this
> >would throw them away.
> >
> >So it's really a per-project decision whether mistakes should be fixed
> >this way or by instead just adding new commits that put things back to
> >where they should be, (leaving some garbage states in the history).
> >
> >Personally, I'd think that a mistaken merge is a particularly ugly
> >thing to have in the history, and this would be worthwhile to fix,
> >(especially if caught very quickly). But my opinion shouldn't carry
> >any weight since I'm not actively working in the xorg repository at
> >all.
>
> I've only seen one commit to master since the merge, so we'd only have that
> one to re-apply.    ajax?  anholt?  keithp?   Any of you want to fix this?
> (Or have any of you looked at the changes to see if we need to fix this or
>  should just let the changes in, if we also pull in aaronp's wfb build fix?)

It would only stomp server-1.2-branch.  Can't fast-forward, means that
your server-1.2-branch is not a direct descendant of the remote's, e.g.:
server: abcde -> fghij -> klmno -> pqrst -> uvwxy
or local: abcde -> fghij -> klmno -> zabcd

Using + forces this, but git pull will also refuse to pull branches that
don't fast-forward to it, unless + is used.

Basically, it specifies that you can't go backwards, or sideways, by
default: only forwards.

Cheers,
Daniel