package version numbers

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Tue Jul 18 16:47:23 PDT 2006

I'm working on new X extension and I'm in the process of creating the
proto and lib packages.

When I do 'make distcheck' to generate tarballs I'm getting version
numbers like 2.2.2 (proto) and 1.0.2 (lib) but I have no idea where
those numbers are coming from.  I copied some of the boilerplate files
from the dmxproto and libdmx directories to get started.  But I don't
see where the version numbers are specified there either.

Can someone clue me in as to where the version numbers come from?

-Brian